HomeMarket NewsYieldBoost Duke Energy To 9% Using Options

YieldBoost Duke Energy To 9% Using Options

Actionable Trade Ideas

always free

Shareholders of Duke Energy Corp (Symbol: DUK) looking to boost their income beyond the stock’s 4.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2025 covered call at the $105 strike and collect the premium based on the $5.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $105 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DUK shares would have to advance 4.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Duke Energy Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for DUK below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 4.1% annualized dividend yield.

DUK+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing DUK’s trailing twelve month trading history, with the $105 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart+β€”+2024+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock’s historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2025 covered call at the $105 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $105. (Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Duke Energy Corp (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today’s price of $100.59) to be 17%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DUK Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 710,340 contracts, with call volume at 1.35M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.
Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

nslideshow Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 Β»

Also see:

Β• Trucking Dividend Stocks
Β• TWOU shares outstanding history
Β• JRO Historical Stock Prices

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Swing Trading Ideas and Market Commentary

Need some new swing ideas? Get free weekly swing ideas and market commentary from Jonathan Bernstein here: Swing Trading.

Explore More

Weekly In-Depth Market Analysis and Actionable Trade Ideas

Get institutional-level analysis and trade ideas to take your trading to the next level, sign up for free and become apart of the community.